Iraqi court may permit marriage of 12-year-old girl whose mother says was raped and kidnapped
Protests have taken place outside an Iraqi court which was hearing a case into whether to allow the marriage of a 12-year-old girl to a man, 25.
The case has sparked fury in Iraq, after the girl’s plight was highlighted on social media.
The hearing, in Kadhimiya, south of Baghdad, was adjourned to next week following anger over the case. Activists protested with banners reading “the marriage of minors is a crime against childhood”, after the girl’s mother pleaded for help to halt the wedding.
According to the mother, the young girl was married to her stepmother’s brother, reported Al Bawaba.
Women demonstrate near the Kadhimiya court in Iraq's capital Baghdad in protest against the legalisation of a marriage contract for a 12-year-old girl
She was married despite the legal age of marriage in Iraq being 18, but which can be lowered to 15 in cases of parental or judicial consent, according to charity Save the Children.
The hearing was postponed amid protest by women and child rights activists outside court (AFP via Getty Images)
"Religious marriages are not permitted outside civil or religious courts but these types of marriages still happen regularly and can be formalised on the payment of a small fine," it said in a recent report, according to AFP.
The mother has urged the court to annul the marriage, in order to provide a “normal life” for her daughter.
Speaking to Fallujah TV, the mother also claimed that her daughter had been “raped” by the man who could soon become her husband, after first being “kidnapped” by her father. The parents of the 12-year-old have subsequently separated.
The case has triggered an uproar on Iraqi social media since videos of the desperate mother crying and pleading for help went viral.
However, the interior ministry for violence against women said in a statement to AFP that its officials had been assured that the girl was not being coerced into marriage.
The case will now be heard on 28 November.
Reference: Independent: Shweta Sharma
- Iraqi court may permit marriage of 12-year-old girl whose mother says was raped and kidnapped
- Councils to be forced to care for unaccompanied migrant children
- Boy, 9, can't play football with friends as his skin tears at the slightest touch
- ‘It will save lives’: Legislation to ban child marriage passes first hurdle in parliament
- Father cut up six-year-old son's football shirts as punishment before partner killed the boy, court told
- Baby, 11 months, takes internet by storm as she masters snowboarding
- Three-year-old calls police and climbs over child gate to let them in after mum is knocked unconscious
- Mother ‘forced daughter to chew on glass as punishment for not taking cod liver oil’
- Fire kills four newborn babies at children's hospital in India
- House of horrors mom collected child support on dead son rotting in apartment, prosecutors say
- What To Do If Your Child Has Eco-Anxiety
- ‘A textbook case of a person who abuses children’: Cops say house of horrors boyfriend abused kids for years
- Ed Sheeran makes CBeebies Bedtime Stories debut
- Vaccine side effects: Results of probe linking pregnancy loss to Covid jab announced
- Boy, 10, who struggled to read as 'letters moved' diagnosed with rare condition
- Optician explains how a baby’s sight develops - and the first colour they see is red
- Joe Swash pens sweet tribute to Stacey Solomon and their newborn daughter
- Nursery temporarily shut down as toddler dies after 'choking'
- Nurse denies murdering eight babies and attempted murder of another 10
- Jennifer Lawrence and Amy Schumer attend New York abortion rights rally
- Conjoined twins who were separated as babies still sleep like they're joined together
- Tooth decay in children will be ‘slashed by a quarter by adding fluoride to drinking water’
- Princess Beatrice gives birth to a baby girl
- Amy Schumer has her uterus and appendix removed due to endometriosis
- Babies ingest at least 10 times more microplastics than adults, study finds
- Aches and Pains
- New Born Babies
- Children - Insomnia
- Babies From 2-12 months
- Spina Bifida
- Equipment Used
- Drug Abuse
- Other Ingredients
- Contact Us
- The Handicapped Child
- Web Links
- Essential Oils for General Purposes
- Hydrolats, Essential Oil Waters, and infused Oils
- The Methods - Aromatherapy - Children-2
- The Methods - Aromatherapy - Children- 3
- Basic Care Kit - Children - Essential Oils
- BALANITIS - Aromachildhood
- Corona virus and pregnancy
- Adolescent Acne
- Arthritis (juvenile Rheumatoid)
- Things To Make For Your First Aid Cabinet
- The A - Z of Conditions
- Herbal Healing Infused Oils
- The Basic Care Kit For Children
- Verrucas and Warts
- Caring Touch Massage
- The Methods - Aromatherapy - Children - 4
- The Methods - Aromatherapy - Children
- The Cave Man Eating Plan
- Athlete's Foot - 2
We have 112 guests and no members online