Father cut up six-year-old son's football shirts as punishment before partner killed the boy, court told
A "bullying" father accused of aiding and abetting his son's murder cut up his favourite football shirts in front of his face, a court has heard.
Thomas Hughes said Arthur Labinjo-Hughes, six, was "visibly upset" and agreed the act was "nasty and cruel".
His partner, Emma Tustin, 32, is accused of giving the boy an unsurvivable brain injury by fatally shaking and hitting him while they were staying at her home.
Hughes, 29, of Stroud Road, Solihull, denies aiding and abetting the murder. Tustin denies murder but has admitted one count of child cruelty.
Both are also said to have forced Arthur to eat salt-laced meals and isolated him for months in abuse that prosecutors compared to "torture".
Tustin previously claimed the boy's brain injury was self-inflicted - possibly by throwing himself down the staircase in her hall, where she said he was forced to spend "12 to 14 hours" a day, seven days a week.
The court previously heard the six-year-old looked "broken" just a few weeks after moving into Tustin's home in Cranmore Road, Solihull, during the first lockdown.
Hughes, appearing at Coventry Crown Court on Friday, described cutting up the football shirts after Tustin claimed the boy had ripped up two precious photos.
© PA Arthur was described as looking 'broken' just a few weeks after moving into Emma Tustin's house. Pic: West Midlands Police
He said he hadn't seen his son do that, but punished him anyway.
Mary Prior QC, Tustin's lawyer, asked if he had cut up the two Birmingham FC tops "in front of his face?"
"I would have done, yes," said Hughes.
"Do you agree that's nasty and cruel?" the lawyer asked. "Yes", he replied.
"He (Arthur) was visibly upset," said Hughes.
The jury was told Hughes also "ripped up Arthur's favourite blanket" and threw it in the bin, and previously heard he had also removed his son's favourite teddy bear on a separate occasion.
The boy also had no bed at the property and was made to sleep on the lounge floor and monitored by CCTV.
At the time, Arthur was also coming to terms with being told his natural mother had been jailed for killing her boyfriend.
Teachers described noticing a change in the normally happy boy in late 2019, around six months before his fatal collapse on 16 June 2020. Arthur died the next day.
Hughes was not present for the alleged fatal assault. As well as being accused of aiding the killing, he faces three child cruelty charges.
The trial continues.
Reference: Sky News:
- Iraqi court may permit marriage of 12-year-old girl whose mother says was raped and kidnapped
- Councils to be forced to care for unaccompanied migrant children
- Boy, 9, can't play football with friends as his skin tears at the slightest touch
- ‘It will save lives’: Legislation to ban child marriage passes first hurdle in parliament
- Father cut up six-year-old son's football shirts as punishment before partner killed the boy, court told
- Baby, 11 months, takes internet by storm as she masters snowboarding
- Three-year-old calls police and climbs over child gate to let them in after mum is knocked unconscious
- Mother ‘forced daughter to chew on glass as punishment for not taking cod liver oil’
- Fire kills four newborn babies at children's hospital in India
- House of horrors mom collected child support on dead son rotting in apartment, prosecutors say
- What To Do If Your Child Has Eco-Anxiety
- ‘A textbook case of a person who abuses children’: Cops say house of horrors boyfriend abused kids for years
- Ed Sheeran makes CBeebies Bedtime Stories debut
- Vaccine side effects: Results of probe linking pregnancy loss to Covid jab announced
- Boy, 10, who struggled to read as 'letters moved' diagnosed with rare condition
- Optician explains how a baby’s sight develops - and the first colour they see is red
- Joe Swash pens sweet tribute to Stacey Solomon and their newborn daughter
- Nursery temporarily shut down as toddler dies after 'choking'
- Nurse denies murdering eight babies and attempted murder of another 10
- Jennifer Lawrence and Amy Schumer attend New York abortion rights rally
- Conjoined twins who were separated as babies still sleep like they're joined together
- Tooth decay in children will be ‘slashed by a quarter by adding fluoride to drinking water’
- Princess Beatrice gives birth to a baby girl
- Amy Schumer has her uterus and appendix removed due to endometriosis
- Babies ingest at least 10 times more microplastics than adults, study finds
- Aches and Pains
- New Born Babies
- Children - Insomnia
- Babies From 2-12 months
- Spina Bifida
- Equipment Used
- Drug Abuse
- Other Ingredients
- Contact Us
- The Handicapped Child
- Web Links
- Essential Oils for General Purposes
- Hydrolats, Essential Oil Waters, and infused Oils
- The Methods - Aromatherapy - Children-2
- The Methods - Aromatherapy - Children- 3
- Basic Care Kit - Children - Essential Oils
- BALANITIS - Aromachildhood
- Corona virus and pregnancy
- Adolescent Acne
- Arthritis (juvenile Rheumatoid)
- Things To Make For Your First Aid Cabinet
- The A - Z of Conditions
- Herbal Healing Infused Oils
- The Basic Care Kit For Children
- Verrucas and Warts
- Caring Touch Massage
- The Methods - Aromatherapy - Children - 4
- The Methods - Aromatherapy - Children
- The Cave Man Eating Plan
- Athlete's Foot - 2
We have 116 guests and no members online